Under the CAAP's Memorandum Circular No. 21 series of 2014 dated June 26, 2014, drone owners or operators are now required to register their equipment with the CAAP, and secure a certification to operate from the agency.
Under a memorandum provision, to be certified as a UAV controller, an applicant must:
- qualify for a radio operator's certificate of proficiency,
- have been awarded a passed rating in an aviation license theory examination,
- have been awarded a passed rating in an instrument theory examination,
- completed a training course on the operation of the type of UAV that he/she posses to operate,
- have at least five hours experience operating UAVs outside controlled airspace.
The applicant must also first obtain at least one of these three certifications:
- a flight crew license with a command instrument training,
- a military qualification equivalent to a license,
- an air traffic control license.
None yet added.